Computer networking basically means connecting various hardware devices like computers and handheld devices through the communication medium, which allows the users to share information from others in the network. These communication mediums can be wired or wireless.
A computer engineer or a network technician designs the setting of these networks. These days, wireless computer network can be designed from homes or offices, which allows for easy sharing of PCs, printers, internet connection bandwidth, and other resources.
Logically, the wireless technology means that no wires are used to share hardware devices, information and resources. In spite of their standalone physical locations, this technology allows for transmitting information signals anywhere within the wireless range. The range will basically depend upon the type of wireless technology deployed for the purpose
To access this facility there are several hardware requirements that are mentioned below:
• Routers are hardware components that allow you to link your computer with an accessible network. It enables multiple users to share one single wireless network, depending upon its capacity.
• Access point is a hardware that acts as a bridge between a wireless devices and wireless networks. It is a little box, which switches Ethernet network to wireless networks.
• Network Interface Card is small, but one cannot access network without NIC being installed in their laptops or desktops.
• Ethernet cables are used to attach the router and the hub.
These are the hardware requirements necessary for installing the wireless computer network. Usually the ISPs will send a technician to do the installation part. Prior to activating the network, they will have it secured against any illegal access. They install, configure and lock your wireless connection. They also take care of settings and troubleshooting whenever their clients need assistance.
Securing your wireless computer network:
1. A firewall is installed that cuts off your network from the outside world, and permits you to smoothly access the data and use the internet. It has a built-in security software or hardware tools. Filtering of outgoing and incoming traffic is done, which is called egress filtering and ingress filtering.
2. The manufacturers of these wireless routers provide SSID name (Service Set Identifier) that helps to communicate computer network with one another.
Subsequent to the network setup and installation of the router, the password or user name must be changed, so that illegal users cannot get access through the new settings.
3. Latest wireless routers come with WPA or WEP encryption technology, which allows selecting a desired level of coding to secure the network.
4. A wireless computer network is intended to communicate with Media Access Control addresses that are synchronized, but only after authentication, and thus shields your network from any unknown devices.
Anyone, who has your PC’s network permission, can make use of your shared data. The computer network providers make sure that all the settings are done appropriately, according to the standard and requirement of your router. These days, wireless infrastructure is set up on big premises including airport, banks, and many other big organizations with numerous users.